Fallout from Wednesday's riot at the US Capitol building continued yesterday. Here’s an update on the ongoing story:
- Several senior Trump administration officials resigned, including Transportation Secretary Elaine Chao and Education Secretary Betsy DeVos. Read Chao’s statement and DeVos’ resignation letter.
- President Trump issued a video statement, acknowledging that “a new administration will be inaugurated on January 20th,” calling for an orderly transition, and condemning the attack (watch).
- House Speaker Pelosi and Senate Minority Leader Schumer called on Vice President Pence to invoke the 25th amendment, which would allow Pence and a majority of the cabinet to remove President Trump from office for his “incitement of insurrection” (statement). Several Democratic lawmakers also proposed impeachment, though it remains unclear if either action will be formally pursued.
- A Capitol Police officer died after sustaining injuries during the violence, bringing the death count to five. Meanwhile, the chief of the Capitol Police announced plans to resign amid widespread criticism.
- Facebook announced plans to block President Trump’s accounts on Facebook and Instagram “indefinitely and for at least the next two weeks.” Here’s the statement from CEO Mark Zuckerberg.